Video 4 is 7 minutes long. It should be viewed after doing PRACTICE 2 and walks through one way to rewrite the two questions shown in PRACTICE 1.
Practice 2 - Rewriting questions
Try it yourself! Write actual exam questions to remove errors and improve using the best practices discussed above. Watch VIDEO 4 to see a rewrite walk through. Activity should be completed after doing PRACTICE 1.
The answers and the purpose of the questions follow.
Rewrite the question using the Dos list.
When you are done, watch VIDEO 4 as I walk you through how I would rewrite the questions.
Non-majors biology exam
Which of the following is a mechanism by which genetic variation arises that can lead to evolution by natural selection?
- mutations in an individual’s DNA in the reproductive cells (i.e., the sperm and egg) due to exposure to radioactivity
- mutations in an individual’s DNA in the skin cells due to excessive UV radiation from the sun.
- mutations in an individual’s DNA in the hair cells due to chemical mutagenizing agents
- all of the above
To measure student understanding that only mutations in reproductive cells can be passed to offspring.
Non-majors geology exam
The most dangerous volcanoes are
- those associated with magmas of low silica (low viscosity) and low water content
- those associated with magma of high silica content and high water content
- those located at transform boundarys
- fortunately located along the mid-ocean ridge
Purpose is unclear
To measure student understanding of relationship between how dangerous a volcano is and its silica content, water content, and location.