Strategy is critical to any initiative. It begins by organizing. The foundation for organization is dependent upon two key factors — vision and purpose — serving as guiding points for your efforts. To construct your foundation, perform the following tasks:
- Clearly identify the goal(s) of your event or
- Using your goals, create a succinct and clear vision
- To help establish an attendee-centered perspective, identify the proposed benefits for the event (i.e., the “WIIFM factor — “what’s in it for me,” as in the attendees).
- To provide granular structure and to help set expectations, create a project
- The charter will include the vision statement, a list of key stakeholders, team member roles, tasks, risks, and success metrics (including the projected benefits for attendees).
Once each of these factors are in place, you’ll be properly prepared to proceed to the next topic.